A friend’s mom made this Buzzfeed recipe for us last weekend and I just had to steal it. I’m so glad I did because Matt was in love. I pretty much followed the recipe to a T, minus the goat cheese (not a fan). Feta tasted amazing with it and I highly recommend it.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- six slices of bacon
- coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 oz spinach
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
I’ve never made spaghetti squash this way but I think I’ll go this route more often now because the texture was on point. Here’s how…
- Preheat your oven to 400 and line two large pans with parchment paper.
- Cut the spaghetti squash into 1 inch rings and place them on the paper. Heat up some coconut oil to drizzle coat both sides of the rings with. Season both sides with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Cook for 35 minutes or until done.
- Let the rings of squash cool while you work on the next part…
- Cut up six pieces of bacon into 1 inch pieces. Place them in a heated skillet on medium, stirring continuously for about 2 minutes or until the sides start to brown slightly. Turn the heat down to low and cook until their done and crispy (may be 5 minutes).
- Once the bacon is done, turn the skillet back up to medium and add 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan. Stir and scrape the bottom of your skillet (20 seconds). Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Stir it all up!
- Now start adding handfuls of spinach one at a time, waiting until it all wilts to add the next handful. Once all 5 ounces of spinach are stirred in and wilted you can turn the burner off and let it sit while you start preparing your squash.
- If your squash has cooled enough you should be able to easily peel and discard the skin using your fingers. Use two forks to shred the spaghetti and add it all to your skillet of goodness, stirring it up nicely.
- Add in 3/4 cup feta cheese and voila- you’re ready to serve a deliciously healthy and unique meal! MMMMmmmm!